Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I have been talking to a friend of mine about my latest thinking on this project, and my plan to make some modifications to make the layout more in line with the actual trackage at Santa Cruz. As I was explaining what I was planning, I realized that the changes were too costly in terms of space, but also it would have removed a number of operation features that are part of the current/original layout.

Alas, I am not going to make major modifications in the Santa Cruz area, but will hint only at the few major location that may be part of the backdrop, and not on the layout itself. I am still planning on repositioning a few spurs, as to make more relational sense to the real locations, but overall there will not be a major restructure of the plan.

Changing the direction of the yard, as to make it more in line with the actual operation that SP used to deliver traffic to Felton and other industries on that part of the branch, will be one such modification.

As it is, the yard will receive traffic to Felton, and two separate industries, for a total max of 4-5 cars. With that amount of possible traffic, the yard need the length of under 200’; placing it on a small peninsula served by a scissor wye would not allow me to have that length, and still be able to maneuver around it comfortably.

I will not start scenery right away anyway, so hopefully I will be able to play … ahem … operate the layout and find out if more modification will be required. Hopefully once I have the operation planned, and will be happy with the performance, I will attempt to create the Santa Cruz scenery, and be as close as possible to what I had seen first hand last year during my discovery trip of the branch. All I need is time now.

No comments: